As I have previously posted, I am on a pretty vicious fitness journey and since I am currently traveling, I wanted to do a very quick post about staying fit while flying. Depending on where you are traveling, your flight may be 2 hours or 20 hours but that is no reason to forgo all your goals and just stay scrunched up and immobile in your seat. My flight was 3 hours and I found some decent ways to keep myself a little busy while thousands of miles up in the air.
I almost ALWAYS fly out of BWI-Marshall airport. It is my absolute favorite airport for many reasons. I believe everyone there is pretty friendly, the TSA security lines are rarely crazy and if you fly Southwest, which is my preferred airline, then your gate is always easily accessible. I just love it, what can I say. The AIRMALL in BWI, aka all the stores, specialty services and dining at the airport, has an awesome fitness week going on for those flying out. Although I am going to miss it, tomorrow they are sponsoring a yoga day right at the airport for those waiting to fly out and other invited guests. What better way to release the anxiety that often comes with putting yourself inside a metal contraption way up in the air or even just stretch out the kinks from a stressful work week leading up to the vacation!
So….. back to my fitness journey and staying fit while flying…..
- Engage your core while sitting in your seat. Press your lower back to the back of your seat and do mini crunches.
- Wrap a resistance band around your ankles and kick your legs out in a slow and controlled motion to work your outher thighs and hips.
- Practice deep breathing that will work well for yoga.
- Don’t use the people mover and instead walk while holding your carry on.
- Do neck exercises at your seat during the flight. We all work with computers all day at our desks and don’t realize just how much we tense our shoulders and necks. Release that tension!
- Wear compression tights or socks to help alleviate the swelling that comes with flying.
- Pack an empty bottle and fill it with water once you pass security. Add some protein powder or even an electrolyte mix to it!
- Keep your neck straight while in your seat. WE all slouch so much and that puts stress on our spine!
For those in the area, check out the yoga day at BWI tomorrow, June 2nd! You have a chance to win tons of awesome fitness gear as well as checking out all the healthy eateries that are at my favorite airport! No need to gain all the weight back just because you are out of your element on vacation!!!
Fit2Fly Events on June 2nd and June 3rd at BWI
- Thursday, June 2: Fit2Fly Day
- Nutritional Jimmy Bars will be handed out
- Free Yoga Sessions by YogaWorks Studio from 12-4pm in Gate Room C8
- Friday, June 3: Friday Fun Walk- pre security 1k cardio trail walk at 10am
Hopefully some of these tips will help you all as they have helped me and many thanks to AIRMALL for celebrating fitness and making great choices while at the airport!